The Lyons Public Library is currently accepting applications from qualified candidates who are interested in joining our staff working as a Library Assistant. This is a Civil Service position.
The work involves performance of para-professional librarian or specialized non-librarian duties. Requires aptitude to operate independently within prescribed responsibilities. The work is performed under the general supervision of a Librarian. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (Illustrative Only)
• Assists Librarian in providing reference service, providing directional assistance to commonly used
• Assists librarian in cataloging, collection development, interlibrary loan, as directed by a the Director;
• Work at circulation desk, as needed.
• Assist patrons of all ages with reader’s advisory requests.
• Participate in staff teams and meetings.
• Maintain and develop knowledge through continuing education.
• Supervise the library in the absence of the library director.
• Perform other related duties as required.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
• Eager to learn and welcomes new ideas.
• Takes pride in providing exceptional customer service.
• Is enthusiastic, welcoming, resourceful, flexible, and eager to work as part of a team.
• Communicates clearly and constructively in a professional and friendly manner, in person and on the phone.
• Is comfortable with integrating new technology into traditional library services.
• Enjoys working collaboratively.
• Capable of making decisions and supervising other staff.
• Can stand, walk, crouch, twist, push/pull up to 60 pounds, and lift up to 45 pounds.
• Anyone who currently has a four-year college degree and at least two years experience working in a library setting.
Wages: Pay rate is $17.00 to $20.00 an hour depending upon experience.
Hours: The person in this position will work 30 hours a week – Days mostly, may include occasional evenings and at least 1 Saturday a month.
Benefits: Health Insurance (library’s share of premium to be decided), NYS Retirement, Workmen’s Compensation Insurance, Disability Insurance, 4 personal days after 1 year, paid birthday off, paid Christmas holiday.
Statement of nondiscrimination:
The library is an equal opportunity employer which complies with state and federal fair employment laws and regulations. The library does not discriminate in recruitment, training, promotion, or other terms of employment on the basis of race, creed, color, sex, age, national origin, or disability in accordance with state and federal laws and regulations.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and three references to Theresa Streb via email at email@example.com, or mail to Theresa Streb, Director, Lyons Public Library, 122 Broad Street, Lyons, NY 14489. If you have any questions, please call 315-946-9262 or send them to the email listed.